Monday, June 05, 2006

WHY?




Why has all forward momentum of my Amazing Lace socks been halted by the letter Y. And X.

This is why!


Just when I wonder why I'm doing this for the 2nd year in a row: Thank-You notes arrive from one of the Kindergarten classes, practicing sentences and sounding out words on their own. One of my favorites reads: "Dear Mrs. Walton, I love the letter F because it is so Soft and Pereshis. Love Maddie"

Precious! :)

Why, after successfully finishing the LACE section of my Amazing Lace socks, is the Eye of Partridge heel kicking my butt?

Seen here, stitches are off the needle (first of 5 times between the 2 socks!) because the Eye of Partridge didn't look any different to me than just plain knitting.

Even though pattern was faithfully followed and when held to the light, little waffle holes could be seen.

15 rows ripped (again & again) of 32 stitches: Slip 1* Slip, Knit* across; Slip 1, purl back (all Purl rows) ; Slip 1, Knit 1 across. Repeat these 4 fours. WHY is that so difficult?

WHY can't I count and Knit, Slip at the same time? Why did I discover I had purled 2 together occassionally on the way back, for no good reason? Answer: Knit 1, slip 1 pairs slide together really close and with size 1 needles & thin yarn they look like one stitch.

Especially if you knit in the dark.

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Aren't kids cute...sometimes. :) I also have difficulties with counting in patterns and don't have the fortitude to attempt lace anymore. (But probably will again as I'm a glutton for punishment) Blogger is a challenge at times. I just upload the pix one at a time in the reverse order I want them viewed. (as complicated as lace!!!!)

Hannah said...

What a great note! Your knitting is Pereshis too!

ICJ said...

Aawww... So cute! :P

Your socks are coming up pretty nicely!

Little waffle holes?!! Yummy! LOL

I usually pick one more stitch at the beginning and end of the pick up stitches, on the side of the heel and K2 tog with the stitches on the other needle to avoid the eyelet. It works for me! :)

Don't you worry, practice makes perfect! :)