Thursday, August 02, 2012

Escape Through Stained Glass

Every quilt has a story . . .  THIS ONE has a doozy. :)
Quilt in a Day Month!
I started this stained glass version of a Stack & Slash quilt July 2nd.
My plan was to use Sharon Pederson's quilt-as-you-go method of construction.
It's my first attempt at anything bigger than a table runner quilting this way.
I enjoyed it and will look for other QAYG design ideas!

I made one of these quilts from a Clueless Quilter's Workshop years ago. That one I hand-quilted and gave to my sister-in-law. (She hugged it over and over, earning future quilt-gifting privileges!) This one was supposed to use up stash from my totes and only buy fabric as needed. So how did I manage to buy 11 yards by the time it was done? Let's just say it takes a lot of black to make the stained glass sashes! And 2 yards don't really count as I  grabbed fabric that looked perfectly black at the store, but when I got it home it looked like charcoal.

I lucked out with my first stack of 9 fabrics: slashed and re-stacked with no two fabrics in blocks together. As designed. Unfortunately my 2nd stack got shuffled wrong and EVERY block had two of the same fabrics in them.
I fixed them. Of course.
And then went to the internet to find the correct formula for stacking & slashing.

My Stitch-in-the-Ditch presser foot (or Edge foot) was getting it's first real workout and I needed to learn to look ahead at the foot guide and not where the needle goes in so the stitching would land near the "ditch". My recent discovery that my old Viking 960 indeed had needle position features - either unused or forgotten - came in amazingly useful. It's like a brand new toy!!

I decided to give up my ritual of watching local morning news loop (repeating the same news for 2 hours) and headed into the sewing room soon after Tom left for work. Things were going along quite nicely and by July 9th a stack of blocks were all quilted and I was beginning to sew rows together. About 8 a.m. I looked up from my sewing machine and out through the open window. TWO MEN, with GUNS and a SEARCH DOG were walking past the window - less than 3 feet away! DOC was written on the backs of their bullet proof vests!  Department of Corrections. Searching for escaped convicts and one of their grandmothers lives across the road!


Perhaps a better response would have been to for me to dive for cover UNDER the sewing machine?
Instead I said, "Um, EXCUSE ME?"
Not sure which of us were more surprised!  One asked me if I had seen two men walk by?
(No...just you two...with guns.)

Quilt progress came to a grinding halt.

Finished!
August 1, 2012.

Jax tested it out first.

30 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Ahh, so cute. I think Jax really loves this quilt and thinks it is very comfy too.

Great post/entry for the Pets on Quilts Show.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

ooh, I love that quilt, and apparently Jax does too.

Needled Mom said...

That's a scary story!!!! Love the quilt and Jax too.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

You can make this quilt for me anytime! My dachsies approve!

Missy Shay said...

Your quilt is beautiful and your dog precious!

Joanna said...

Would Jax catch the bad guys? He looks too cuddly to me. Your quilt is beautiful.

Mandy B said...

I love the look in the eye! Innocent! beautiful dog and stunning quilt.

quiltmom anna said...

What a gorgeous quilt- I love the magic tiles design. Thanks for participating in the blog hop.
Jax is one handsome dog.
Warmest regards,
Anna

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Wow it really turned out nice! Funny how a "quick" quilt can sometimes turn into more work than we thought....Jax is a handsome guy.

Snoodles said...

You have one of the most handsome quality control inspectors that I have ever seen! He is doing a great job -- beautiful quilt!
Thanks for joining us at the Pet show!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the stainglass quilt and your helper.

MC said...

What a cool way to do a stained glass quilt, I am very inspired to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Dana Gaffney said...

Jax is gorgeous, maybe that's why you didn't dive under, I would have. That's pretty scary.

Loris said...

Love the quilt and the dog :-) Hope the convict was found...scary story!

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

Great quilt...Love Jax!!!

sew.darn.quilt said...

Stunning quilt, stunning model =)

Marianne said...

What a sweet doggy!

heartsease54 said...

I think he's trying to tell you that this is HIS quilt. Lovely quilt and lovely model.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Jax looks so comfy!!

SpartanBabe said...

Looks like Jax has a new quilt! Thanks for sharing the experience - we all have those :o) Or atleast, the quily experiences, not sure about the DOC one tho...

Kruse Kats said...

Jax is laying there say, I dare you to get me off of here, I doble dog dare ya!

CaroleM said...

ok, it would be very disconcerting to have 2 men walking by with guns. I love that 'um, excuse me?' Oh boy. Your quilt is beautiful as is Jax.

QuiltSue said...

What a scary experience. I can see though that Jax loves your quilt.

Rebeckah Austin said...

That is a cool quilt.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Your quilt & dog are beautiful. Just gorgeous. Sorry you had such a scare.

Mhairi said...

Lovely quilt, with a great story. At least you will always remember the making of this quilt!!!

Lyndsey said...

The colours in the quilt show Jax's coat off to perfection.

Marcia W. said...

This story will etch the making of this quilt on your memory. At least Jax is there to help protect you.

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

Love the quilt and you have great taste in dog names - my little guy is also called Jax!!

Bonnie said...

Beautiful quilt. I especially like the last picture of Jax testing it.