Monday, March 02, 2009

Fine lines & slippery slopes




No turning back...

A few weeks ago I admitted defeat and bought a Daylight tabletop lamp.
I swore I didn't actually need the magnifying glass that came with it but it would be there for someday. If someone ever did need it.

On Sunday I peeled the protective sheets from the magnifying glass and tried it out. Okay. Maybe I do "need" the magnifier.

I tried Hardanger a year or two ago and declared it the hardest needlework method of all time. Mostly because I couldn't see the damn threads.
I did several heart shaped practice projects before finally getting one to come out "right" enough. Then moved to other things.

I am trying again . . . but now with better lighting.
Inspired by this picture I felt compelled to give counting threads another try.

I've ordered 2 books including the one mentioned at Maggie's Textiles.
Until they arrive I'm (* sort of) going by Mary Corbet's tutorials found on her blog, Needle 'n Thread.


*OOPS!
I was supposed to wrap 4 threads (except for 2 on each end). I did 2 all the way across. All the way around.

I meant to do that!
Not buying it? Didn't think so :) I stopped reading directions too soon and just started sewing.

If there was a report card
Follows Directions marked: Needs Work

4 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE my magnifying glass. It was difficult to start using it and I still find it strange when I go back to "normal" size.

I also love Hardanger work. I have a friend who does gorgeous work as well as lacemaking. Amazing!

Moneik said...

I love hardanger too and haven't done it for about six months. I think the push to get the unity candle piece done before the wedding was a bit hard on me. I did those hearts in the beginning too. Nordic Needle is an awesome online source for Hardanger supplies.

Anonymous said...

such a great surprise today in my mailbox! thank you, thank you, thank you!

Judy S. said...

And you also do Hardanger? You reminded me that I have an unfinished piece somewhere..... Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you'll come back! BTW, I love your header.