Saturday, January 15, 2011

No longer a UFO!


AKA #6: Stack-n-Whackier @ "Treasure Boxes" (50" X 54" lap quilt)

Long ago the local quilting group I belonged to hosted an all day workshop. Bethany Reynolds taught the class pre-book release if I remember correctly. Book is dated 2001 - so this PhD has been hiding for awhile.

To be honest it would have been hiding a whole lot longer, had #6 not been drawn for the January Patchwork Times UFO Challenge. I was more or less at peace with stuffing it back on bottom of the pile!

And of course just to make more work out of this project: I noticed the 3rd block from the bottom on the left was UPSIDE DOWN. For a moment I debated the mistake on purpose theory; pretending I meant to do that... because no quilt is supposed to be "perfect".

Yeah RIGHT! This quilt is SO far from perfect it's not funny but I still could not help myself. I got out the seam ripper and fixed it. And by fixing it, I mean the block is now right side up and edge is possibly even wonkier than before.

It had wonky looking issues as a top and it still does now that it's finished. But it should be warm as I decided to go with a thicker than usual bamboo batting and a flannel backing. By adding the wider border that samples fabric each of the 'treasure boxes' were cut from, it at least gives it a bit of novelty of an I SPY quilt. And hopefully distracts from the what-was-I-thinking burnt orange?

It has now been hand quilted and binding is finished as of January 14, 2011. It could easily be used for demonstration purposes What NOT to Do in Quilting. Also discussed was the option of placing it into the nearest drop-off box for charity and walking away as fast as possible.  

Now to get myself to the next meeting so I can return the book!

9 comments:

Katie said...

I like what the fish turned into in the blocks. (I always marvel at what happens when you "whack" up fabric like this.) And so what if it's orange. I like orange...

JudyCinNC said...

Now it is just perfect for you. Great quilt.

Jo said...

I am glad you showed a close up picture. It is beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

It's a great quilt...don't know why you don't love it?!?!
Congrats on finishing this golden oldie!

Heather said...

LOL Gotta love that sense of humor! Still, I think this is an awesome quilt. Someone out there is going to love it very much. ;o) Congrats on getting it finished!

swooze said...

Love it! Colors, design, everything!

happydaysquilting said...

I too think your quilt looks great! and the satisfaction of having finished a UFO must be a good feeling!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous quilt!!!!!

Lisa said...

Dude! Stop being so hard on yourself! The quilt is delightful. The colors are thrilling. It names me grin, from ear to ear.