Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stand on the steps of the state capitol.








Head east to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial? In Augusta.

Who knew? Not me! I still haven't found it.

My sweep around the State House and down into a nice little park across the street failed to turn up a Lincoln Memorial.

I played
tourist with a camera around the surprisingly empty State House grounds and turned up a good number or other memorials & monuments I had never taken the time to see.

It could be a play on words I suppose.
Anyone know where Lincoln is?
Anyone?

I had to drive to Augusta to attend a Board meeting on Saturday.

190+ miles round trip.
YIKES!

It's not a solo journey I enjoy all that much. As editor of a quilting newsletter I had a couple of issues to face down. I suspect my ears would have been burning had I not been there to defend myself. Suffice it say I've ticked off one of the contributors to the newsletter enough that I suspect my name has been used in vain. Often!

Enough to convince me I needed to speak up. And see if I couldn't wrestle that
editor voodoo doll away from her before she shoves another pin...some place uncomfortable. Judging by the X she made in her report because I got to go alphabetically ahead her with mine and diffused a half page of her talking points, it was a good thing I made the trip.

Except I totally wanted to show off a solo letterbox find and came up empty!
There's 4 new boxes in our area, hidden this week. We still haven't gotten out to look for them. How hard is it supposed to rain this afternoon?

Mother Nature looks to be messing with plans for the 2nd weekend in a row.
Or maybe someone's still jabbing pins in my likeness.

Did I mention it was a very blustery day?
Well it was!

At bottom is a statue of Samantha Smith.
I thought it was longer ago, but I must have been pregnant with Sara at the time her child's view of diplomatic HOPE took place.
By the time Stephani was born her mom was dealing with tragedy beyond belief.

In December 1982 Samantha Smith, a 10-year-old girl from Manchester, Me., wrote to Soviet President Yuri Andropov to ask if he was going to wage a nuclear war against the U.S. She toured the USSR at his invitation the following July and as a result, became first a media celebrity and then a television actress. Samantha died on a rainy August night in 1985 when the commercial plane she as in crashed killing all aboard.

No comments: