Wednesday, July 23, 2008

1st efforts at Coptic Binding




That went pretty well

I searched and found both written & video tutorials for Coptic Binding.
It took a combination of the two for me to grasp the way this sewed binding was worked. Diagrams from several written tutorials helped make videos easier to follow.

Some of the videos I found were hard to listen to or had no sound.

It'll take a little more practice for me to get these to come out...
((oh, what's the word I'm looking for?))

Better. Okay...Perfect?
By perfect I mean using the correct techniques.
I'm still a little fuzzy on the kettle stitch that makes a crochet-like chain.

1st one is a little wonky.
(too loose even though I thought at the time I was really pulling the thread tight.)
2nd one is better, but still missing some of the chained columns.

Our Library is looking for a book I requested, but was not listed in the database we use. Non Adhesive Binding, Vol. 3: Exposed Spine Sewings
. I hope they buy it! Looks very interesting.
(And that Lazy Susan in the photos was purchased at Goodwill for a $1. Thought it would help organize "things" on the table.
Turns out it just elevates the mess 2 inches higher :)

No comments: