Thursday, March 01, 2007

Onward even in denial of the obvious



Choked by your socks lately?

With knit stitch dictionary open, I began knitting each section of these socks in a different pattern. Inspired by this pair and lusting after them greatly, I thought I could do it.
Make Fisherman's sweater socks.

No problem.

Clearly I was wrong and it's back to the drawing board, as they say.

(I wonder if anyone has ever steeked cuffs of socks and inserted a gusset/flap/button closure? Thing. I'm thinking about it. It's cheap yarn I bought a year ago when I first took up knitting again. Experimenting is how you learn, right?)

Attempting new stitches and discovering "I can do this" was satisfying. So onward I knit.
Even after doing the ankle in a Honeycomb cable and finding it might be a little snug, since even my hand had a hard time trying it on.

Did I reverse course?
No. Denial. Ignore it and keep knitting. Try another stitch.
Quilted Lattice!! How amazing is it to scoop up a long strand of yarn and lock it into the rows above. So cool. Keep knitting.

Much like these little socks I started on Sunday at Mom's.
Needing something to do with my hands, I snagged a part of a skein of variegated yarn from her stash and started knitting. Like I knew what I was doing.

Like there would be plenty of yarn for whatever size appeared.
Or I would pick up another skein. Of course no one has this color anymore.

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I'm big on denial. I'm the Queen of Denial. I always get a smackdown in the end, but I feel good for a while there.

Hang in! It's all a learning process...

Roggey said...

Even though I abandoned ship on the knitting socks gig, I really enjoy watching others knit them. Beautiful work there!