Sunday, April 01, 2007

Seemed like a good idea at the time.


Look what the Easter bunny coughed up?

There is just way too much pastel in the this (almost) Lala Scarf for its own good. I didn't follow directions. That may go without saying for most things I do. The original pattern is found in Greetings from Knit Cafe and it's very lacy. Lots of YO's and wrap yarn around 3 times.
Too lacy perhaps.

I first saw an almost Lala scarf at Rainy Day Goods, rolled into a pretty pink bouquet. Not sure why I felt compelled to knit it during the off time, before round 3 of Sock Madness begins. I finished the Ripple socks that went on hold when round 2 started and I didn't feel like starting another pair of socks just yet.

So I decided to knit a scarf. Without following directions.
Yarn used is Cherish Minty Moda-Dea along with Cherish Baby Print variegated for the picots. It seemed like it would work. In a not so pink kind of way. I used size 7 needles and just knit until it measured 14 inches in the middle. Directions call for 14 x 33 inch scarf - 95 stitches.

Yeah. Too pastel?

I didn't actually read the part where it suggested there would be 95 stitches until I was at 14".
I had 175. And there was still 4 more rows in which we would double the number of stitches twice. Picot trim if knit as instructed would bring scarf to 380 stitches. I was up to about 700 stitches when I started the picots from hell.

Oh. My. @##@##@. Word.

And it's not that I don't swear (way too much)...for some weird reason it feels wrong to type swear?

Stephani has allowed she would wear it if she were feeling particularly girlie. I suggested she wear it and the first person who shows any sign they aren't repulsed by it - they get to have it.
Except it's more likely a guy takes notice and in all likely hood owning a pastel ruffled scarf is not what they're interested in.

4 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

"Seemed like a good idea..." is The Sheep Theme Song. I have many, many ideas and all of them seem really good. Most of them never make it to the finish line and for good reason.

It is a pretty scarf but probably not for everyone. You'd have to be really secure in your "girly-ness" and all. The bear wears it rather well!

stephani nola said...

apparently the bear wears it better than ME, because you didn't use MY modeling photos.. hmmph.

laurie in maine said...

I decided to protect you (my child) from the hordes of readers that visit/stumble across this site. Both of them!

roggey said...

I think you have to be on crack to do that damned picot edging.

I'll stick to emergency blinds fixes with duck tape, a glue gun and some thumb tacks with a coffee mug for a hammer - don't ask, it was a long weekend!